Business License Information
Planning to start a business in Murrieta? Prior to the start of business, some businesses may require additional processing, approvals and/or permits from other city departments, such as:
Businesses that require a Police Department review and background check include but are not limited to:
- Firearms dealer
- Ice cream truck sales
- Secondhand dealer
All applicable requirements are due at the time of application. View our resource directory for contact information for relevant County, State, and Federal agencies.
Applicants may apply for a business license online. All categories/businesses may apply online at any time.
Please be sure to attach all applicable requirements in your application. All applicable requirements are due at the time of application in order to process. Please include updated copies of, if applicable, HOP, DBA, sellers permit, Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) license, etc.
If you do not have access to a computer, you may use our public kiosk, located at City Hall, to complete your application. Please be sure to bring all applicable required documents. Please note that there may be a waiting period if the public kiosk is in use.
Before Submitting an Application
Prior to submitting a business license application, check with the following departments:
- Building and Safety - verify if building permits are required by contacting the Building and Safety Department
- Planning - verify zoning with the Planning Department to be sure the type of business you wish to open is in the correct zoning district. The City of Murrieta is divided up into various zoning districts, with each district having its own set of allowable land uses. Never lease or purchase a location before knowing how that property is zoned.
After Submitting an Application
After submitting a business license application, you may be contacted by the following departments, if applicable:
- Fire - fire inspection (not valid for home occupations)
- Police - review, background check, or facility inspection
You may renew online, in-person, or by mail.
All categories/businesses may renew online at any time. Users will be prompted to enter an account number which is the business license number, and PIN number which is found in your renewal email and on the renewal form.
All categories/businesses may renew in-person, during normal cashier hours. Please bring the renewal form or be prepared to provide a license number.
All categories/businesses may renew by mail. Please include a completed/signed renewal form along with check payment.
Fees are based on the annual gross income/receipt amount of the business unless the business falls under the flat rate fee. For new businesses, this is the anticipated annual income. Applicants may verify what category the business falls under, license and flat rate fees, by viewing the Fee Schedule (PDF).
Flat Rate Fee Businesses
- Certified Public Accountant
- Engineering/Architectural Services
- State Licensed Contractor
- Veterinarian/Animal Care
California Assembly Bill number 1379: Effective January 1, 2018, through January 1, 2023, a four-dollar additional fee is to be paid by any applicant for a business license, permit, or similar instrument when it is issued or renewed. On or after January 1, 2024, the fees and requirements remain in effect but the amount will reduce to one-dollar.
Forms of Payment
- In person: Cash, Check, Credit - Discover, Mastercard, Visa, and Debit Cards
- Online: Echeck, Credit - Discover, Mastercard, Visa, and Debit Cards